Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
I’m back with a top Ten Tuesday ! This week, the theme is “page to screen books”, and boy do I have many of those in mind !
Some that I’ve read and watched :
- The Chronicles of Narnia series – I love the books, and I remember that when the movies came out it was such a huge thing for me ! (It also made me want to actually try Turkish delight. And I hated it. Totally not worth betraying your family over. 0/10 would not recommend).
- The martian : I watched the movie first, absolutely loved it, and then thought “the book is probably even better, let’s give it a chance !” and I was not disappointed.
- Crazy Rich Asians – I actually started reading the books because all the hype about the movie made me discover this series. Then I cried reading the books. And then I cried again watching the movie.
- A series of unfortunate events : read it. Listen to it. Watch it. Devour it. Get a tattoo of it. This is the book of my entire childhood and I will never stop loving it with all my heart – so when Netflix gave me a 3 seasons-long, perfectly adapted TV version of it ? Of course I watched it, multiple times, and learned the dialogues by heart. (And got a tattoo)
Books I really need to read :
- A song of ice and fire – I can’t believe I’ve lived this long without ever trying to read this series. I’ve watched the TV show, of course,
like every other person on earth at this point, but I keep hearing about so and so’s amazing character development in the books, and about how “this scene is so different !” or “but what about…” and I need to know.
- American gods : I’ve been watching the TV show for this, and I know it’s good, I can feel it, it’s just that… I don’t get half of what’s going on in this, and I’m pretty sure it’s because I haven’t read the book first !
- Good Omens : I have absolutely no excuse for this one. A friend let me borrow her copy of the book once. I had it in my room for three months. Never read it. I really need to do that before the show comes out though…
- The Expanse – the show is SO GOOD, and when I started watching it I didn’t know it was based on a series of books first, but now that I’ve seen how good the story is, and how well written the characters are, I really need to get my hands on a library copy of those !
Books that someone, somewhere, with a lot of money, really needs to adapt :
- Any of Terry Pratchett’s books about Sam Vimes. I’d like to see an entire movie about Sam Vimes, in HD, with good cinematography and amazing actors, and the incredible writing of the books, please and thank you very much. With some Angua and Carrot too, if possible. Carrot is played by Chris Evans and Angua by Brie Larson. (What ? You can see that I’ve thought about this way too much ?)
- Ewilan’s Quest : now that we’ve got “realistic” CGI dragons, and special effects for cool magic in every other TV show, a movie (or series, I’m not picky) about a girl who can create things by drawing them in detail in her thoughts – and has to free her people from their monstrous oppressors – shouldn’t be too hard to do, right ? (I insist on monstrous. They’re supposed to look like a ten foot tall mix between a lizard and a mantis, standing upright. And they can talk.)