Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
What are the top ten books that I refuse to let anyone touch ? Oh. Um.
All of them.
I don’t really let other people touch my books – so, instead of the 10 books I don’t let anyone touch, here’s a list of 10 things that make me wary of ever letting anyone other than me touch my precious books :
- That time I borrowed a book from the library from a friend, who ended up keeping it for months, getting library fees, and letting me bring it back on my own (and pay the fees!) without even reading it.
- That time I gave a book I borrowed from the library to a friend, who read it, then instagrammed it with a comment about how nice it was to have a moment for herself, and how much she recommended this book… but never tagged me or even sent me the post. (Yeah, I know it’s petty and lame, but I’m extra petty and I felt genuinely hurt.)
- What if I let someone borrow one of my books, and they don’t even read it ? (They’d break my heart, that’s what would happen)
- What if someone touches one of my books, and damages the cover ?
There’s also the things that I did (and am ashamed of) :
- That time I borrowed a book from someone, then moved to another school and never saw them again. I felt terribly guilty and got rid of the book after 10 years by donating it to a charity. What if I lend a book to someone and this happens ??
- That time I was eating chocolate while reading a romance novel and it made stains on multiple pages. What if someone puts coffee stains on my Harry Potter books ? Grease stains between the pages of my favourite adventure novels ? The horror.
- That time I didn’t have any bookmarks on hand, so I folded the corner of the page I was on. This book will never be the same again.
There’s also the fact that, sometimes, I write in my books. Which brings me to the following two problems :
- What if someone writes in one of my books, with something other than pencil, so it can’t ever be erased and the book is defaced forever ?
- What if someone reads what I wrote ?? (And even worse : tries to talk to me about it ??)
But more importantly, there’s the worst thing I ever did to a book, ever. I was 7 or 8, and it still haunts me. I had obtained a brand new book from A series of unfortunate events, and I was reading it outside our house when my parents called for dinner. I got distracted, and left the book outside.
When I came back, the morning after, the night rain had soaked through all the pages, and half of them had gone flying through our garden – I had to run around all day trying to catch all the missing pages, then dry them all and put them in my toy paper press to make them flat again, and try to bind them in the book again. It was a disaster (and I cried a lot. I mean I was 8, so, an event like that was a really good reason to cry.).
What if someone borrowed one of my books, and let it suffer the same fate by accident ?
That’s it for me ! Hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed writing it !